Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day of Classes


Today was the first day of classes, meaning this new thing of blogging will probably get less frequent! So far this semester I have 15 books to read, not counting what I will have to read for my research papers! Good thing I enjoy reading. The issue is just making the time for it!


Enjoyed Systematic Theology II, Elementary Greek and Person Spiritual Disciplines today. I am looking forward to all of them. I really enjoyed what was covered in Theology today. Dr. Moore spent the class time laying out three purposes why theology is given in Scripture:


  1. Everything is summed up in Jesus Christ and found in Christ. Therefore, when we are ministering with accurate, biblical theology, we are standing in the place of Christ.

  2. Everything since the Fall is to be seen in the context of warfare in that the promise of God to destroy Satan is ongoing and real until the return of Christ. The power of the Gospel shatters the power of Satan.

  3. Theology fulfills the mission of love. Theology is not a field of study left to the elite, but a field of study in which the Word of God is further understood and with love, brought to people for the glory of God and their personal good, as well as their joy. All theology must be worked out through faith and love.

The closing comments of Dr. Moore was that the class is not ultimately for we who were in the class, but for the many lives who will be impacted through the ministries of those of us in the class. This impact will go years beyond our lives and our imagination.


For those of you who are praying for us, here are some specific things you can pray for:



  1. The Lord would provide us with jobs to cover our living expenses.

  2. The children to adjust to living in a "itty bitty little living space". They want to run and play, but we don't have room anymore.

  3. The Lord would give us wisdom as to where we are to attend church and where we are to serve. There is a church that is very interested in me serving as the family pastor there and the ball is in my court. I need to get back to them soon.

  4. That we country folk would get used to living in a very big city! Yesterday, Jess took her mom back to the airport at 6:00am and I was awakened at 6:40am by my phone. It was Jess and she said, "I'm lost and I think I am in a bad part of town." If you are a husband, that will wake you up! Praise the Lord though for high speed internet and Google Maps! She got home without incident. Later in the day, I proceeded to get lost. Oh well, I guess it is all part of it!

  5. Finally, please pray that I would be able to be a good husband and father while being a student.

We miss all of you and may the Lord bless you richly as only He can do!


Blessings,


Shane


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Shane. If you don't have time to write, just keep posting pictures of your cute girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the link on facebook. We will definitely be praying for you guys. I look forward to reading whatever you have time to post.

    ReplyDelete